Thursday, February 25, 2010

THE BEST CHILI IN THE WORLD

Okay, people, I realize that it is not chili season. However, for this recipe I am willing to break any and all seasonal food rules.

My friend Vynette finds THE best recipes. Seriously the woman should write a cookbook. I've told her this, she doesn't believe me. I think she's being dumb (and you can tell her I said that).

Last weekend when Mark got baptized she was an angel as usual, and made two HUGE crock pots of soup for us to enjoy with our extended family afterwards. They went perfectly with garlic rolls from Wall Street Pizza and a lovely Caesar Salad with Buttermilk Brownies for dessert. (I'm drooling right now) They were both divine. But the chili was....PERFECT. It has some things in it that shocked me. And I was fairly skeptical about the whole olives, even thought I like olives (sorry Kelly I know that kills this one for you), but OH MY GOODNESS. I'm just going to stop now and type the recipe, and if you are smart at all you will make it and hide in a room and eat it all yourself. Oh and if you live anywhere near me you will invite me over to hide in the closet with you.

ETA:  I've altered this recipe a little bit since I first got it, so now it's just perfect for us.

The BEST Chili

¼ cup olive oil
1 pound yellow onions, coarsely chopped
4 lbs extra lean ground beef
1 pound sweet Italian sausage
1 pound hot Italian sausage
¾ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 can (12 ounces ) tomato paste
1 ½ TB minced garlic
1-2 TB cumin
2 TB chili powder
¼ cup Dijon mustard
2 TB salt
2 TB dried basil
2 TB dried oregano
3 quarts crushed tomatoes
1 (12oz) can tomato juice
¼ cup grape juice
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
¼ cup fresh dill
½ cup chopped fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
3 cans dark red kidney beans, drained
3 cans large olives, drained

Heat olive oil in large heavy pot. Add onions and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Crumble the meat into the pot and cook until the meats are well browned. Spoon out as much excess fat as possible.
Add the pepper, tomato paste, garlic, cumin, chili powder, mustard, salt, basil and oregano. Add the drained tomatoes, grape juice, lemon juice, dill, parsley and kidney beans. Stir well and simmer, uncovered, for at least another 20 minutes, I like to let it simmer for a few hours.

Taste and correct the seasonings. Add the olives, heat through for another 5 minutes and serve.

Garnish with grated cheese, chopped green onions, and sour cream.

Makes a HUGE pot of chili, so you'll probably want to adjust the amounts or have your entire ward over for dinner. Seriously this will feed 20-25 people.

2 comments: