Thursday, February 25, 2010

MY FAVORITE POTATO SALAD



This recipe is a Banks family favorite, I think originating from my Great Aunt Marge.

12-15 red potatoes
10-12 hard boiled eggs, coarsely chopped
12 green onions, chopped
1 quart jar Kraft mayonaise
1/8-1/4 cup sugar
1-2 tsp salt (to taste)
1/2 tsp pepper
1-2 tsp dill weed
2-3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2-3 Tbsp Dijon or Horseradish mustard (I do a combination of both)
Old Bay Seasoning (to taste)

In covered saucepan cook potatoes in boiling water for 20-30 minutes until tender. Drain well, cool. Cut potatoes into bite sized cubes. I like to leave the skins on, you can remove them if you want.

Combine mustard, mayo, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, dill weed, and Old Bay. Pour over potatoes, green onions, and eggs (NOTE: I do not use all of the mayo mixture, it makes it too runny. So just add until it reaches desired consistency, I usually let the salad chill for a while and end up adding more of it, in the end I use probably all but 3/4-1 cup of it) Mix gently and chill for 6-24 hours. The chilling time is essential. This salad is one that is even better the next day so if you can make it the day before you serve it that's great. If not, give it at least 6 hours in the fridge.

1 comment: