Thursday, February 25, 2010

MEXICAN CHICKEN CORN CHOWDER


I'm always looking for new recipes to add some variety to our dinners. So in the hopes that you'll all do the same occasionally I'm posting the recipe for the soup I made for dinner last night. We LOVE it. I think this is the 3rd time I've made it and it's probably our favorite soup right now. (sorry you can't see that much from the picture, but I really like to see pics with recipes so I had to try)

Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder

1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
(I use three of the frozen chicken breasts from Costco, I mean do they really think we all have food scales in our kitchens?)
1/2 cup chopped onions
1-2 cloves minced garlic
3 Tbsp butter
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1 cup hot water
1/2 to 1 tsp ground cumin
2 cups half and half
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 (14 3/4oz) cream style corn
1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies, undrained
1/4 tsp Tabasco sauce
1 medium tomato, chopped
fresh cilantro

In a dutch over or large saucepan, brown chicken, onion, and garlic in butter until chicken is no longer pink. Dissolve the bouillon in hot water. Add to pan along with cumin; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add half and half, cheese, corn, chilies, and Tabasco sauce. Cook and stir over low hear until the cheese is melted. Stir in chopped tomato. Serve immediately. Garnish with cilantro.

Emily's notes: I always use cilantro and I just add some into the soup at the end instead of just as a garnish. Also, I like a little bit thicker soup so I made a roux using 2Tbsp butter and 2Tbsp flour, microwaved it, stirred it up and added it to the soup to thicken it. And lastly it is great with tortilla strips! Hope you enjoy.

1 comment: